[Introduction] Switches and routers are common network devices in the equipment room, but in fact, many friends have not really understood the concept of switches and routers, and even do not know the difference between switches and routers. Here is a small series for everyone to answer what is the difference between switches and routers, switches and routers.
Switches and routers are common network devices in the equipment room, but many of them have not really understood the concept of switches and routers. They don’t even know the difference between switches and routers. Here is a small series for everyone to answer what is the difference between switches and routers, switches and routers.
First, what are a switch and router
1, the switch
A switch (English: Switch, meaning “switch”) is a network device used for electrical signal forwarding. It provides an exclusive electrical signal path for any two network nodes that access the switch. The most common switches are Ethernet switches, and other common telephone voice switches, fiber switches, and so on.
A router is a device that connects to various local area networks and wide area networks on the Internet. It automatically selects and sets routes according to the channel conditions, and sends signals to the devices in the best path. The router is the hub of the Internet, “traffic police.”
At present, routers have been widely used in various industries, and various grades of products have become the main force for realizing various internal backbone connections, backbone interconnections, and backbone networks and Internet interconnection services.
Second, the difference between the switch and the router
1. The switch works at the relay layer. The switch is addressed according to the MAC address. The router works at the network layer. According to the IP address addressing, the router can handle the TCP/IP protocol, but the switch cannot.
2. The switch is a network cable to go online, but everyone is dialing the Internet, each using their own broadband, everyone has no impact on the Internet. The router has one more virtual dialing function than the switch. The computer that accesses the Internet through the same router shares a broadband account, and everyone has to interact with each other.
3. The switch can make multiple computers connected to it form a local area network. If there is a proxy server, it can also realize the simultaneous Internet access function and all the computers on the local area network share its bandwidth rate, but the switch does not have the automatic identification packet sending and arrival address of the router. Features. The router can automatically identify the address where the packet is sent and arrived. The router is equivalent to the police on the road and is responsible for traffic guidance and guidance.
4. To give a few examples, the router is a small post office, just an address (IP), responsible for sending and receiving (a personal computer, a server, so your home Internet access to this thing), the switch is the province’s big postal center, responsible for An address is given to each small place.
Simply put, the router specializes in the network, the switch only manages the distribution, the route routing is to find the way for you to access the Internet, the switch is only responsible for opening the door, there is no route on the switch, you can not get on the network.
5. The router provides the service of the firewall. The router only forwards the data packets of a specific address and does not transmit the data packet transmission that does not support the routing protocol and the transmission of the unknown target network data packet, thereby preventing the broadcast storm.
The above is mine for everyone to answer about what is the difference between switches and routers, switches and routers. In fact, one sentence is that the router is to find us the way to let us go online, and the switch is only responsible for opening the door, if Said that there is no route on the switch, then we can not get online.